Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Book Review - The Tattooed Girl by Joyce Carol Oates

I just heard someone say the other day that it's best avoid any book where the authors name is larger then the book title.  I'm not saying that you should avoid this book but there is probably some truth to that advice.  This it the first book I've read by Joyce Carol Oates..  It's obvious she is a master of the english language and a master writer that being said the book was enjoyable simply for her exceptional ability to craft delightful sentences.  The story is deeply layered but the characters are uninteresting.  I never connected with the main character Joshua Seigel.   Very little happened for 3/4 of the book and then three major events happen in the last 30 pages.  Interesting read but I would recommend finding another Joyce Carol Oates book which shouldn't be difficult considering the number of books she has written.

No comments: