Thursday, April 8, 2010

IF - Dip


I haven't painting as much as I have in the past. And the painting I have been doing is much different then before. I'm letting go of trying to represent the world in a realistic manner and have started focusing more on representing form by letting the brush work its magic. I'm drawn to Asian art for its simplicity and its meditative qualities. This is what dip means to me.

Vincent Van Gogh was influenced by Asian art. In some of his paintings he painted Asian prints in the background. Why is this important? Van Gogh speaks of his desire to paint the underlying beauty of nature. He saw the beauty of life and that is what he was attempting to represent. I believe that it why his paintings appear timeless and are revered around the world. He captured in some degree that which is beyond the physical world.

No comments: